2019 Solar Tax Credit - Spidell

2019 Solar Tax Credit

Message Board 2019 Solar Tax Credit

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Melissa Meier
      Participant

Do the solar panels have to be installed and operational by 12/31/19 to be eligible for the residential energy tax credit on the 2019 return? Or does the installation just need to have begun in 2019?

Thank you!

Mike Giangrande
      Participant

In order to qualify for the REEP credit under section 25D, you must have the panels installed and operational by 12/31/2019.

I will be diving deep into this issue in a solar webinar on Tuesday, November 19.

Mark Bole
      Participant

“In order to qualify for the REEP credit under section 25D, you must have the panels installed and operational by 12/31/2019.”

It appears to me the credit is good through 2021, although at slightly lower rates than 30% (26%, then 22%).   Granted, the question was about the 2019 return, but I know I for one was for a long time under the false impression that it ended completely in 2019.

Paul hodgson
      Participant

Mike,

How does Notice 2018-59 dovetail with the requirement that the panels be installed and operational by 12/31/2019?  I thought a taxpayer could establish construction by meeting safe harbor and qualify for the credit or is that not for individual taxpayers?

Thanks!

Melissa Meier
      Participant

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/energy-incentives-for-individuals-residential-property-updated-questions-and-answers

Q. Does any guidance issued for the energy credit under section 48 of the Internal Revenue Code apply to the residential energy efficient property tax credit under section 25D of the Internal Revenue Code?

A. IRS guidance issued with respect to the energy credit under section 48 in publication items such as Notice 2018-59, has no applicability to the residential energy efficient property credit under section 25D.

Viewing 4 reply threads