California filing deadline to receive $600.00 Golden State Stimulus Payment - Spidell

California filing deadline to receive $600.00 Golden State Stimulus Payment

Message Board California filing deadline to receive $600.00 Golden State Stimulus Payment

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Participant

Must 2020 California income tax return be filed by October 15, 2021 to receive the $600.00 Golden State Stimulus Payment? Is this payment exempt from garnishment? Is a traffic fine due a California Superior Court a garnishment order subject to exemption under the relevant Golden State Stimulus Payment legislation?

Taxpayer tendered payment of the original fine to the Superior Court. The payment was apparently lost in transit or processing. Taxpayer is in the process of submitting the Cashier’s Check – Customer Copy to the Superior Court and would prefer to file his 2020 Form 540 after the traffic citation matter is resolved with the court rather than have increased fine with penalties offset against his refund and/or Golden State Stimulus Payment. Taxpayer’s 2020 Form 540 shows a refund which taxpayer would prefer not be offset to the Superior Court. (Taxpayer believes that it’s much more difficult to get money back from a Superior Court than to pay any money due on final resolution of any judicial matter.)

Taxpayer’s 2020 Form 540 will be late, but without penalty, if not mailed on or before October 15, 2021.

Will a Golden State Stimulus Payment be paid to an otherwise “qualified recipient” whose 2020 Form 540 is filed late?

Welfare and Institutions Code Sec. 8150(b)(3)(A)(i) seems to say that a “qualified recipient” is an eligible individual who filed a California individual income tax return for the taxable year (2020) by November 15, 2021.

Welfare and Institutions Code Sec. 8150(3)(A)(ii)(I) seems to say that the taxpayer’s 2020 California individual income tax return must be filed on or before October 15, 2021.

Any assistance will be appreciated on this time-sensitive inquiry.

Thank you.

FlyFishingJimbo@comcast.net

Ian Alper
      Participant

From the FTB website – “…and calculate your CA AGI, you need to file a complete 2020 tax return by October 15, 2021.”

I sort of wish they did this ever year.  I am calling up people that I contacted months ago to pick up their returns – when I leave a message saying they will be out $600 if they do not come in by today they all are showing up!

Viewing 1 reply thread