Cancellation of Debt - Spidell

Cancellation of Debt

Message Board Cancellation of Debt

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Rhonda Worsham
      Participant

I have a client that lost her primary residence due to the death of her husband and has a cancellation of debt and is insolvent. Is there anyway of not claiming the cancellation of debt?

Diane White
      Participant

Foreclosures and repossessions are treated as sales. She may be able to claim the Qualified Principal Residence Indebtedness exclusion. You may look at the Insolvency Worksheet in IRS Pub 4681 if the residence exclusion does not apply to see if she qualifies for that exclusion.

Rhonda Worsham
      Participant

Thank you Diane. She does qualify for that exclusion but California conforms only to the insolvency exclusion not the forgiveness on residence. So would you know how I would claim the insolvency?

Diane White
      Participant

You’re welcome. There is a good Insolvency Worksheet in the IRS Publication 4681.  You can use it or make one of your own similar to attach to the CA returns. In the past I have prepared an Excel spreadsheet outlining all of the pertinent information including as much information is possible about the transaction.

William Dewberry
      Participant

Attach irs form 982 to ca return

Rhonda Worsham
      Participant

Thank you Diane and William. I appreciate your help very much, Can I ask you another question. If she got an interest statement that was not included in her cancellation of debt I can include these amounts on a schedule A correct?

Rhonda Worsham
      Participant

any suggestions on how too attach the 982 IRS form too California and remove the taxable amount?

Viewing 6 reply threads