Efiling before 4/15 and paying by 7/15 - Spidell

Efiling before 4/15 and paying by 7/15

Message Board Efiling before 4/15 and paying by 7/15

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Mark Bole.
Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Sandra Stout
      Participant

Can I file a federal and or California tax return before 4/15 but pay the tax due by 7/15? I got a diagnostic in my tax program not allowing me to file by 4/15 with automatic withdrawal on 7/15. Diagnostic said the withdrawal date had to be before or on 4/15.

Lynn Freer
      Participant

Sure you can file the return and just not have a balance due paid with it. Don’t put an auto withdrawal  in now. If you finish the return prior to 7/15 just set the payment up then.

Sandra Stout
      Participant

So I can e-file before 4/15. Just not have an automatic payments come out. Taxpayer can pay by check by 7/15. But will taxpayer start receiving notices that have to be answered within 90 days?

Alternately hold off e-filing until 4/16 and then set the date for withdrawal at 7/15?

Sandra Stout
      Participant

So file before 4/15 with auto payments coming out by on 4/15. but before 4/15 (2 days before) cancel the auto pay scheduled for 4/15 and change to 7/15?

What if I just efiled by 4/15 without payment and then paid by check on 7/15. Will there be notices from the IRS before 7/15?

Lynn Freer
      Participant

Efile by 4/15 and don’t make a payment is probably best

Sandra Stout
      Participant

Thank you! And thank you for being there to answer all of our questions!!

Mark Bole
      Participant

“Alternately hold off e-filing until 4/16 and then set the date for withdrawal at 7/15?”

You should only have to hold off until the IRS and our software vendors make the updates, which presumably will be before 4/15 (at least, I think the software vendors could beat that date, but they will probably have to wait for IRS to update the efile rejection criteria).

“cancel the auto pay scheduled for 4/15 and change to 7/15?”

You can’t re-schedule EFW payments made with the return, you can only cancel them.

If nothing were to change, on 4/15 and after you would only be able to make a EFW payment on the same date as efiling, not delayed until 7/15.  That is the way the system has always worked with normal deadlines.

Viewing 6 reply threads