Extended deadline for filing and funding SEP IRA - Spidell

Extended deadline for filing and funding SEP IRA

Message Board Extended deadline for filing and funding SEP IRA

• This topic has 5 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 2 weeks ago by Heather Babcock.
Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Robert Johanson
      Participant

Based on the flash mail just received: “The new federal filing extension means taxpayers will not file an extension on April 15, and that they will have until July 15 to file without extension.” It would seem that one would still need to file a 4/15 extension to avail themselves of extended 10/15 deadline benefits.

Rob J

Lynn Freer
      Participant

See Notice 2020-18. It seems the SEP contribution date is extended.

Cristina Park
      Participant

Lynn, I cannot seem to find a specific reference to the SEP deadline in Notice 2020-18.  What am I missing?

Larry Pon
      Participant

How about IRA contributions?

Lynn Freer
      Participant

We aren’t sure about IRA contributions yet. Recommend making them pre 4/15 Expect something later re confirmation of extensions being filed in April or July. The CARE Act contains language to that effect but IRS notices are inferring no extension for 4/15 which I think means 7/15

Heather Babcock
      Participant

I am under the impression that the contributions are to be made by the deadline of the return.  In the code it does not give a specific date, just by the deadline or the extended deadline.  So if the deadline has been moved it would seem that the contributions can now be made by 7/15 or the later extended deadline of 10/15 if an extension is filed prior to 7/15.

Viewing 5 reply threads