Fall Seminar – interest tracing question, 10T election (contradiction)

Message Board Fall Seminar – interest tracing question, 10T election (contradiction)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Mark Bole 1 week, 3 days ago.

• Author
    Mark Bole
    Participant

This is a new/old topic for me, triggered by page 9-15 of the Spidell 2018-2019 Update Seminar. I’ve been told about the 10-T election for years, and still don’t understand what is “the debt”. Does that mean a single loan account at one bank? Does it mean every time I write a check against my HELOC (which is a new loan, each time).

From the book: example of Ada. She refinances $200K acquisition debt on residence with $250K new loan, with $50K cash out used to buy a rental property. You state she can allocate interest expense 80% to Schedule A as qualified home mortgage interest and 20% to Schedule E as rental expense. But in the very next paragraph, you talk about the 10T election and how it is all-or-nothing. So why doesn’t Ada have to follow all or nothing allocation? Either the interest on $50K is home equity debt interest (not deductible under TCJA), or she has to make 10T election to trace $50K to the rental, but then the $200K is no longer qualified home mortgage acquisition, debt because of the election.

Which is it? They can’t both be right.

Mike Giangrande
    Participant

Mark,

Interest tracing, which can more appropriately be called interest allocation, is slightly different that the 10T election.

Mark Bole
      Participant

What is the “slight difference”? The example given for a 10-T election (Abele) is virtually identical to the Ada example.

If qualified home mortgage interest can be “traced” at anywhere from 0% to 100% to some other activity where it is deductible, even if it would not be deductible on Schedule A, then why would anyone ever need to make a 10-T election?