foreign property taxes vacation home

Message Board foreign property taxes vacation home

This topic contains 9 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by William Dewberry 3 days, 8 hours ago.

• Author
    Pat Szekel
    Participant

I have a client with a vacation home in Vancouver Canada.  Are the foreign property taxes still deductible on the California return and if so where since it is no longer a federal deduction?

Vancouver has also instituted an empty homes tax and BC is putting in a BC Speculation tax can these be deducted as property taxes for California.

Lynn Freer
    Participant

Yes foreign property taxes are allowed on schedule A. The additional taxes are deductible if they meed the definition in IRC Sec. 164

Pat Szekel
    Participant

Follow up question.  How would you report this on the Sch CA.  The box (5B) to add to state and local property taxes is blacked out.  The only place to make an adjustment is line 6 Other Taxes and it just allows subtractions.  Would you put the amount in here as a negative?  Note the Federal no longer allows this as a deduction so it would not show up in column A line 5B

James Uber
    Participant

Foreign property taxes are NOT allowed on SCH A.  I have the same basic situation for a house in Italy — are these foreign property taxes allowed as a California deduction, and how to get them on the SCH CA?

Randal Thornally
    Participant

I also have a client with a Vancouver vacation home. Foreign real property taxes, which had been fully deductible for Federal and California purposes through 2017, are no longer deductible on the Federal Schedule A. However, since California did not conform to the TCJA I would have thought there would be a way to make an adjustment on the California Form CA(540)- California Adjustments – Residents.

I have reviewed both the FTB and ProSystem instructions. Neither source seems to address this issue. Am I missing something here or is this a bigger problem that needs to be addressed? Thanks.

Sandy Weiner
    Participant

We are checking with the FTB on this. We’ll post something as soon as we hear back.

Sandy Weiner
    Participant

We just received the following information from the FTB:

For foreign real property taxes, taxpayers will enter the amount on line 6, column C. That column is currently shaded so we will be revising the Schedule CA (540 & 540NR) to un-shade line 6, column C.

James Uber
    Participant

Thanks,

Now we only need to get our various software providers to update their products.

Pat Szekel
    Participant

To complicate matters for the software providers.  If you have a foreign vacation home that is a part year rental then the personal portion of the property tax that is disallowed on the rental schedule should go to the California return but not to the federal return.

William Dewberry
    Participant

Pat Szekel, blast from the past, USC taxation classes.