FTB holding paper filed short year fiduciary return - Spidell

FTB holding paper filed short year fiduciary return

Message Board FTB holding paper filed short year fiduciary return

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Terri Crinnion
      Participant

I filed a final (paper) short year return for a trust that closed mid year, there is a large refund due to taxpayer. (Filed on 2018 forms)  Just got notice that FTB will not process the return until the 2019 forms are released early 2020.   Anyone else receive a notice like this?  Client was hoping for the refund sooner rather than later.   Is this something new?

Lynn Freer
      Participant

They always seem to have a problem with short year fiduciary returns. You might contact the taxpayer advocate and see if they will expedite? 2019 forms are in draft stage and should be finalized soon.

Terri Crinnion
      Participant

Thanks Lynn, I’ll give it a try.

Mark Bole
      Participant

I wonder if efiling it would have helped.  I efiled a short year CA fiduciary return earlier this year, but there was no refund or balance due, so I don’t know if CA “processed” it yet.

Terri Crinnion
      Participant

Thanks Mark, I unfortunately couldn’t efile because I already efiled a full year “2018” return.  I had to file this  short year  (2019) on 2018 forms by crossing out the dates (in the tax program) to the short year.  Since I already efiled 2018 forms it would not let me file again.   I also tried calling the Taxpayer Advocate that Lynn suggested and then gave up.   Three tries and I never got to anyone with helpful insight.  So I guess we just wait, client seems ok with that, but I have a couple others in same situation so I thought I might reach out to see if I should just wait until Jan to file.   I would of course prefer to get these done now in the off season.

Mark Bole
      Participant

“just wait until Jan to file”  – but you can’t do that if the filing deadline comes before that, which it could easily do.

Some software handles the short year just fine.  I e-filed both a full calendar year 2018 trust return, and a fiscal year (short year) final return for 2019, both using my professional software, and FTB accepted both returns just fine, even though they were both filed with 2018 forms and software.  The 2019 return did show the correct fiscal year at the top of the form where you would expect it.

The point is, when it comes to software, you may not be getting handy features like this if you don’t pay for a premium product.

Mark Bole
      Participant

addendum:  I forgot, you could file an extension on the short year to get to January 2020.

Lynn Freer
      Participant

FTB has told us they won’t process short year Returns filed for future tax years until the tax year is open and our return processing services for that specific tax year become available. For example, return processing services for a 2019 tax return will become available January 2, 2020.

Viewing 7 reply threads