Home Office - S Corporation - Spidell

Home Office – S Corporation

Message Board Home Office – S Corporation

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by Dave Yoshida 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

• Author
    Anonymous

What is the best way to capture home office expenses for an S Corporation? One that does not have any other office?

Anonymous

I was told of an IRS rule that allows $500 per month.  I do not have a citation for that.

Lynn Freer
    Participant

The deduction is not for the S corporation, it is for the employee/shareholder. Haven’t heard anything about a $500 deduction.

Anonymous

The deduction is not allowed against schedule E income, correct? And the expenses are directly related to the running of the business. Say, a shareholder uses a large space in the home and has no other office space anywhere? Is the only option to use the employee business expense rules?

Dave Yoshida
    Participant

I’d recommend establishing an accountable reimbursement plan whereby the office-using-shareholder measures the home office vs total space (Form 8829 worksheet) and then requests reimbursement for actual expenses as incurred based on the %.

I am aware of practitioners who include an allowance for depreciation in this calculation. I do not include such an allowance when I help S-corp folks start up an accountable plan because it is a non-cash expense so nothing really to be reimbursed.