Nonresident / part-year resident question - Spidell

Nonresident / part-year resident question

Log in to Post

Message Board Nonresident / part-year resident question

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Lynn Freer 6 months, 2 weeks ago.

  • Author
  • #142377

    Client is single, lived in Calif all her life. Still owns a house in CA, which she started renting out a room & still lives in when she’s here visiting & still works here some.

    Bought a house in Texas to work. Only 18% of her wages were earned in CA, along with $2,000 as consultant here.

    She really moved to Texas, so she registered to vote there, got doctors, etc. & had her Homeowners exemption removed from CA house.

    It turns out she was in Calif 108 days. 208 days in Texas, the rest traveling.

    — Does she have a case to not pay Calif tax on her Texas earnings?

    — Do I report her as Part-year resident or Nonresident?

    Thank you very much for the help.

  • #142386
    Lynn Freer

    She is still a resident as she still lives in part of her house part of the time. She has not abandoned her CA residency and domicile. To change residence/domicile you must abandon one domicile and establish another.