Paper file of 1099-NEC for California - Spidell

Paper file of 1099-NEC for California

Message Board Paper file of 1099-NEC for California

• This topic has 13 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 2 days, 1 hour ago by Matthew Gonda.
Viewing 13 reply threads
  • Author
      Kevin Ebenhoch
      Participant

On the FTB website it says the following below.  It appears if we paper file the IRS 1099/1096 we do not need to paper file with California.  Do you agree ?

Kevin
      <h3>Less than 250 information returns</h3>
      Information reporters who submit 249 or less information returns, are not required to file electronically, but you can through:

• Secure Web Internet File Transfer (SWIFT)
      • IRS Combined Federal/State Filing Program
        <ul role=”presentation”>
      • Your information will be forwarded to us from the IRS (except 1099-NEC – Must be submitted via paper or electronically to FTB)
    • Paper
      • If you file paper returns with IRS, do not send a paper copy to us. IRS will forward the information to us, whether you are located in or out of the State of California.
      • If you have an exception that requires you to report something different for federal and state purposes, such as a different dollar amount, file separate returns with IRS and us.
    Lynn Freer
    Participant

It seems they haven’t updated their website completely . You DO need to paper file. Send a copy of the 1099NEC along with a copy of the federal 1096

Lynn Freer
    Participant

Notice actually says “except 1099NEC”

Kevin Ebenhoch
    Participant

Thank you Lynn.  The part of the instructions where is says except 1099Nec is in the efile section of the instructions for the combined Federal/State efile program.  The part for paper filing  noted below says do not send paper and why it is confusing.  We only paper file the 1099’s for clients so we want to make sure.  Have you talked with the FTB and are you positive on this as it makes a lot more work for the staff?

Kevin

Paper

• If you file paper returns with IRS, do not send a paper copy to us. IRS will forward the information to us, whether you are located in or out of the State of California.
    • If you have an exception that requires you to report something different for federal and state purposes, such as a different dollar amount, file separate returns with IRS and us.
    Lynn Freer
    Participant

I sent this over to the FTB. They are for some reason they don’t seem terribly concerned about their slowness at getting this done. We are waiting to hear whether they will abate failure to file penalties as they have not been in front of this. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

William Dewberry
    Participant

From FTB website

Information reporters who submit 249 or less information returns, are not required to file electronically, but you can through:

• Secure Web Internet File Transfer (SWIFT)
    • IRS Combined Federal/State Filing Program
      <ul role=”presentation”>
    • Your information will be forwarded to us from the IRS (except 1099-NEC – Must be submitted via paper or electronically to FTB)
    • Paper
      • If you file paper returns with IRS, do not send a paper copy to us. IRS will forward the information to us, whether you are located in or out of the State of California.

<div class=”callout”>

If you are filing paper returns with us, attach the returns to IRS Form 1096 and mail to the following address.

Franchise Tax Board
      PO Box 942840
      Sacramento, CA 94240-6090</p>

“Top-electronic-filing-errors”>Top electronic filing errors

1. 1099-NEC – Must be submitted via paper or electronically to FTB regardless if you sent it to IRS.
    Dave Yoshida
    Participant

What about when there is no Form 1096 (so, when you e-file 1099-NEC electronically…) Can I just mail the paper 1099-NEC to the PO Box above and that’s that?

Lynn Freer
    Participant

You only need the 1096 if paper filing

Dave Yoshida
    Participant

So, if I’m e-filing 1099-NEC using a service (I use efilemyforms.com) I am just mailing the paper copy to FTB at the PO Box in this thread?

OK… I can do that…

William Wharton
    Participant

Ok…so to an out of CA contractor, should the 1099 state copy be filed to the FTB, or to the recipient’s state, or both?

Lynn Freer
    Participant

A 1099NEC should be filed as the income is for services performed for a CA business.

Michael Berry
    Participant

just to make sure I am understanding the above comments correctly.

1. For 1099-NEC that were paper filed with IRS (less than 250 1099’s), a copy of each 1099-NEC and the 1096 needs to be sent to the FTB at the following address:  Franchise Tax Board, PO Box 942840, Sacramento, Ca 94240-6090.
    2. If a California business (in my case, a California non profit whose activities are California based) is getting consulting services from a party providing such services out of state (say such services are provided from consultant’s office in Ohio), a copy of 1099-NEC for that person needs to be sent to FTB?   Also, I take it the other state should receive a copy of 1099-NEC for that person.
    Lynn Freer
    Participant

We sent a flash email a little while ago answering these questions. For Ohio, don’t know what they must file but they must file in CA

Matthew Gonda
    Participant

Does the 250 returns issue apply at the preparer level or is it for each entity?

Specifically, do I need to e-file everything with the FTB if the sum of all 1099’s I file for my combined client base exceeds 250 1099’s? Or is it client by client?

• Viewing 13 reply threads