partnership tax return due date-IRS Notice 2020-23 - Spidell

partnership tax return due date-IRS Notice 2020-23

Message Board partnership tax return due date-IRS Notice 2020-23

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Connie Holmes
      Participant

The Spidell flash email date 4/9/2020 states that partnership tax return due date has been extended until 7/15/20, but the IRS’s website still says 3/15/20. My tax software company also says 3/15.  My client received a late filing penalty notice from the IRS. We mailed the extension on 3/13 and efiled the return on 3/26. Any input would be appreciated.

Diane White
      Participant

The IRS due date without a valid extension for calendar year partnerships is March 16. The CA due date was extended to July 15, 2020. The IRS is not processing paper filings yet so I suspect your extension has not been processed. I would write a letter with copies of the extension, proof of mailing of the extension and any other documentation you may want to include to support the timely filing of the extension. Definitely send it certified mail with a return receipt. I hope that helps.

William Dewberry
      Participant

You are correct notice 2020-23 did provide partnership returns with an extended due date of July 15 th.

Connie Holmes
        Participant

Then why does irs.gov still says partnership tax return due date was 3/15/20 and IRS assessed my client a late filing penalty of $410 when the return was efiled on March 26th. I suppose the extension we mailed on March 13th was not processed.

Mark Bole
      Participant

Notice 2020-23 only applies to “all taxpayers that have a filing or payment deadline falling on or after April 1, 2020, and before July 15, 2020.

So to clarify the previous comment, only partnership returns with a due date on or after Apr 1st received automatic extension of the original deadline.  A partnership return due in the middle of March does not qualify.

Yes, it would appear the efiled return was processed before the paper filed extension for your client.  I suppose you will eventually be able to straighten it out, but wonder why the extension itself was not efiled?

Connie Holmes
      Participant

Thank you for the clarification! It is a brand new client. They gave us minimal information before March 15th to process the extension. Lacerte efiled extension was rejected, so we mailed the extension form on March 13th.

Peter Fukumae
      Participant

Spidell has it in their tax updates that calendar year partnerships due March 15th received the benefit of the extended July 15th due date.  Was this later corrected by them?

Viewing 5 reply threads