REFUND PROBLEM DUE TO BAD BANK ACCOUNT NO - Spidell

REFUND PROBLEM DUE TO BAD BANK ACCOUNT NO

Message Board REFUND PROBLEM DUE TO BAD BANK ACCOUNT NO

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Mitchell Daks
      Participant

I was given incorrect bank account and routing information. FTB is giving me the run around and is blaming the bank, blaming me, as if i can fix it after the return is filed. Looking for suggestions

Lynn Freer
      Participant

Here is what we reported in a recent article from the California Taxletter.

The FTB is not responsible for a lost refund due to incorrect account information entered by the client or the tax preparer.

If a DDR is deposited to the wrong bank account due to incorrect information, the FTB will contact the bank where the misdirected refund was deposited and attempt to retrieve the funds. If the bank is unable/unwilling to return the funds but provides information concerning the misdirected deposit recipient, the FTB will move the refund from the taxpayer’s FTB account to the recipient’s FTB account to create a debit on the recipient’s account that will be pursued as a collection account.

If the bank does not provide any information, the FTB cannot require them to do so.

If the FTB refuses to contact the bank, you could contact the Taxpayer Advocate’s office but if the bank won’t cooperate, I’m not sure what you can do.

Viewing 1 reply thread