Service Dog Deductions

Message Board Service Dog Deductions

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Donna Carsten 3 days, 19 hours ago.

• Author
    Donna Carsten
    Participant

I am hoping that someone may have some information or point me in the right direction to find some case law.   I have a client that suffers from PTSD and Narcolepsy.  He had a Service Dog (not officially certified) that just passed away, it cost him about 8,000 in vet bills, chemo to try and save the dog but it did not.  He wants to deduct those medical bills and he has a number of letters, including one from Univ of Florida doctrors who were impressed by how the dog who passed was able to support him.

He just got a new dog that is not certified, but they are in the process of logging his hours so that he can be.  He was trained

The client lives in rural Florida and his neighbor has 8 very large aggressive hunting dogs.  They are going to have to build a fence to make sure that the new dog is safe.  I know that you can deduct costs of maintaining a service dog but does anyone know of anything that would allow him to deduct the costs of the fencing (will be about 10,000)

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

The cost would not be deductible because it is a capital improvement to his home. In cases where medical expenses double has capital improvements, only the cost that is in excess of the value of the capital improvement is deductible as a medical expense.

Donna Carsten
    Participant

Thank you so much