Veteran's Benefits and Transaction Act of 2018 Choices - Spidell

Veteran's Benefits and Transaction Act of 2018 Choices

Message Board Veteran's Benefits and Transaction Act of 2018 Choices

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by Sandy Weiner 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author
    Dave Yoshida
    Participant

Hi – I have a couple of questions…

SP is in CA on TP’s military orders and has historically qualified under MSRRA to not pay taxes here. TP is Illinois resident and SP is Oklahoma resident (TP went to OK, met/married SP, they moved here to CA together). If SP chooses TP’s IL residence under this new law, then CA wages would become subject to tax, right? So, since she is currently a nonresident of CA she is not paying state tax here (but to OK instead). Right? Am I missing anything?

Also, TP and SP, both AZ residents and military, stationed in CA. SP leaves the military and gets a civilian job and a military pension. She appears to have the choice of staying as an AZ resident based on hubby’s AZ residence. Pension has CA tax taken out (at her request), but if she is an AZ resident after all, she’d pay tax to AZ instead – am I right, here?

Thanks 🙂

Sandy Weiner
    Participant

If she chooses IL residence she would not have to pay taxes to CA on CA wages.

As to AZ residents, you are correct, she would be paying tax to AZ instead.