The IRS opened its direct deposit portal on its website this morning. By clicking on the “Get My Payment” button at www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments, taxpayers can:
- Enter their bank account information if they hadn’t previously requested direct deposit on a return, or if they want to update their information;
- Confirm the payment type: direct deposit or check; and
- Check their payment status.
Taxpayers wanting to add their bank account information to speed up the receipt of their payment must provide the following information:
- Their AGI from their most recent tax return submitted, either 2019 or 2018;
- The refund or amount owed from their latest filed tax return; and
- Bank account type, account and routing numbers.
Comment: It appears that if a taxpayer does not qualify for a payment due to income level, after entering the requested information a message stating “Payment Status Not Available” and a link to information on eligibility rules will be displayed.
Sign up for Spidell’s Post-Tax Season Update and Review webinar and get the latest extension information, plus details of the Families First Act, the CARES Act, and more. Click here and register today!
Sign up for Spidell’s Flash E-mail — Get breaking news delivered to your inbox, plus other free analysis and information for tax professionals. Join our community and stay at the top of your game. Click here to sign up.