Changing an address with the FTB

Taxpayers should update their address with the FTB if they change their address and file any of the following income tax returns:

  • Forms 540, 540 2EZ, California Resident Income Tax Return; or
  • Form 540NR, California Nonresident or Part-Year Resident Income Tax Return

Taxpayers may complete and mail a paper Form FTB 3533, Change of Address for Individuals. If the change also affects the mailing address of children who filed separate tax returns, complete a separate Form FTB 3533 for each child.

Taxpayers may also change their address over the phone by calling the FTB at:

(800) 852-5711

However, the quickest way to update a mailing address is through a MyFTB account. If an address is changed online or by phone, Form FTB 3533 does not need to be mailed.

Some tips to keep in mind:

  • If a post office does not deliver mail to a street address, affected individuals should show their P.O. Box number instead of a street address; and
  • If an individual has a foreign address, follow the country’s practice for entering the city, county, province, state, country, and postal code. Do not abbreviate the country name.