The IRS opened its direct deposit portal on its website this morning. By clicking on the “Get My Payment” button at www.irs.gov/coronavirus/economic-impact-payments, taxpayers can:
- Enter their bank account information if they hadn’t previously requested direct deposit on a return, or if they want to update their information;
- Confirm the payment type: direct deposit or check; and
- Check their payment status.
Taxpayers wanting to add their bank account information to speed up the receipt of their payment must provide the following information:
- Their AGI from their most recent tax return submitted, either 2019 or 2018;
- The refund or amount owed from their latest filed tax return; and
- Bank account type, account and routing numbers.
Comment: It appears that if a taxpayer does not qualify for a payment due to income level, after entering the requested information a message stating “Payment Status Not Available” and a link to information on eligibility rules will be displayed.
Sign up for Spidell’s Post-Tax Season Update and Review webinar and get the latest extension information, plus details of the Families First Act, the CARES Act, and more. Click here and register today!