H.R. 3151, the Taxpayer First Act, has been sent to the President for his signature.
If signed, the Act will:
- Change the management and oversight of the IRS to improve customer service;
- Improve accessibility to the taxpayer appeal process;
- Make the OIC fee waiver mandatory for low-income taxpayers;
- Refine the private debt collection program;
- Allow the IRS to accept payment of tax via debit or credit card;
- Waive the electronic filing requirement for tax preparers if the preparer is located in an area without internet access; and
- Reorganize the IRS and safeguard taxpayer interactions with the IRS.