Do you want to stay logged in?

Spidell News


Tax relief available to fire victims

October 10, 2017

The President has issued a disaster proclamation in the following counties due to various wildfires, including, but not limited to the wildfires below:

  • Butte County for the Cherokee and LaPorte fires;
  • Lake County for the Sulphur Fire;
  • Mendocino County for the Potter Fire;
  • Napa County for the Tubbs, Atlas, and multiple other fires;
  • Nevada County for the Cascade and Lobo fires;
  • Sonoma County for multiple fires, including the Atlas Fire; and
  • Yuba County for multiple fires.


The Governor had previously declared states of emergencies for these counties.  ( 

Taxpayers impacted by the fires may be able to claim a disaster loss throwback election on an amended federal and/or California 2016 return.

The Governor also declared a state of emergency for Orange County due to the Canyon Fire. Orange County was not declared a disaster area by the President, so taxpayers may only elect a disaster loss throwback on an amended California 2016 return.

CDTFA relief

The CDTFA is offering tax relief to those impacted by the fires throughout the state.

Emergency tax relief is available from the CDTFA for business owners and feepayers directly impacted by the wildfires in Butte, Lake, Mendocino, Napa, Nevada, Orange, Solano, Sonoma, and Yuba counties (the Atlas, Canyon, Cascade, Cherokee, LaPorte, Lobo, Potter, Sulphur, and Tubbs fires).

Business owners and other tax and fee payers affected by these fires may request extensions to file returns and relief from penalties and/or interest by calling the CDTFA Customer Service Center ((800) 400-7115). They may also do so online for most tax and fee programs.

EDD relief

Employers in Butte, Lake, Mendocino, Napa, Nevada, Orange, Solano, Sonoma, and Yuba Counties directly affected by the multiple fires, including the Cherokee, LaPorte, Sulphur, Potter, Cascade, Lobo, Canyon, Tubbs, and Atlas fires may request up to a 60-day extension of time from the EDD to file their state payroll reports and/or deposit state payroll taxes without penalty or interest. Written requests for extension must be received within 60 days of the original delinquent date of the payment or return to file/pay.

More information from the EDD can be found at:


Send To A Friend